Friday, September 28, 2012

My Lupus is in the active stage...

My visit (Sept.28) with Dr Jonnala, my Rheumotologist was very interesting.  First of all I was hurting bad...I had been hurting this week and was ready to get some answers. When she walked in the first thing she said is how long have you had that skin rash?  I told her I had it when I was there the last time but not as bad so I had it over a month. She ask me how I was feeling and I told her about my severe hip pain, knee pain, lack of energy and she immediately said my "Lupus was in the active stage and we need to get it under control.  So we need to get you on Benlysta.". She told me it was an intravenous drug and I would have to come in every 2 weeks for a 1 hour treatments for 6 weeks than if all was going well I would start on monthly 1 hour treatments.  This is the new medication they talked about at the Lupus Symposium. I was so glad to hear her recommend it before I had to ask her about it.  I am very concerned about it but it sounds like the only thing to get my Lupus under control.....please pray for me that this works.  It has tons of side effects but according to her I am a prime candidate for it and I will feel so much better once it gets in my system.  I guess it takes a month or so....but FIRST we have to see if my BCBS Insurance will cover it. Then the dr orders it specifically for my height, weight etc...it may take up to 2 weeks to get it set up. Thanks for your continued support in my Lupus Journey....and yes, I am back on Prednesone....


  • Deuteronomy 7:9 (NIV)
    Know therefore that the lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.

3 comments:

  1. I use to see Dr. Jonnala. She diagnosed me with lupus in 2012. I had achy joints, raynaud's, positive ANA. In September 2014 she did the avise testing, and it came back negative. Dr. Jonnala told me to get a second opinion. Now I see Dr. Myerson in Atlanta. He's awesome!!

    It's so funny how I found your blog. I just did a Google search for "avise test lupus'.
    I'm from Loganville, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE on this was never made BUT I wanted to make a note my INSURANCE finally approved this but the COPAY was like $2600 to even STRAT Benlysta so I never got to take it.

    ReplyDelete